Hi, any tips on how to feel awake during the day? I generally fall asleep in lots of my lectures and I have great difficulty focusing when I try to read through my lecture notes/watch podcasts. Also my eyes/eyelids just feel so heavy and tired during the day. It's not like I'm not getting enough sleep; I mostly sleep an average 7-8 hours a day. Do you think taking adderall/ritalin will help me focus; I'm trying to get into med and I'd take any advantage I can get.
I’m not too familiar with the medical side of this, but I do have personal studying experiences regarding staying awake in class if you are interested.
1. Drink coffee or something that keeps you awake or excited.
2. Drop the boring class; it’s probably too boring that’s why you’re falling asleep. Take more interesting and hands on class.
3. If you find yourself falling asleep in almost all your classes, the problem probably lies with your lack of motivation. In such instance, you may want to reevaluate why you’re in school and if you are still interested to be in it.
Other than the above, you could be suffering from an organic condition where you’re constantly low on energy. In such case, you should get a doctor to check you out.
As for tips staying focus, here are more additional tips:
1. Find an environment that keeps you awake. For myself, I find that when there are lots of air in the room (such as more opened windows), it’s easier for me to stay focus. There are more oxygen flowing through my brain.
2. Eating a snack or drinking something nice like tea so that you are not hungry and distracted by that (if this were the case).
3. Think about what it is that is distracting you and eliminate that.
4. Be more interested in the topic that you are studying. This could be done by engaging in discussions with others on the topics. When we don’t enjoy or understand what we are learning, we tend to tune out.
Hope this helps! I don’t have many tips, but if anyone has more to add, feel free to do so via the reply of this post.